Building Inspection & Permitting ensures the health, safety and protection of persons and property by confirming that buildings and their systems conform to relevant bylaws, the BC Building Code and other applicable standards.
A Building Permit is required when you:
- construct a new building;
- add to an existing building.
- change the occupancy of an existing building (for example, from office to retail);
- make interior renovations that may impact the direction of travel to an exit;
- repair a building envelope;
- demolish or move a building;
- enclose your carport or change your garage to living space;
- add or relocate plumbing, fire alarm or fire sprinklers;
- pave a parking area where a storm drainage system is required;
- finish an existing basement;
- locate or add to a mobile home; and
- locate a temporary building.
Please note that a detached accessory building less than 10 square metres (107 square feet) in area that is built on a property with a single family dwelling is exempt from requiring a Building Permit, but must still meet zoning requirements found within the “Accessory Structures – Structures and Uses” section of the Town’s Zoning Bylaw [PDF – 1.2 MB]
- Building Permit Application Form
- Guide to Building Permits
- Plumbing Permit Application Form
- Plumbing Permit Fee Schedule
- Demolition Permit Application Form
If you are looking for relevant records of your property for example house plans, surveys, or permit history etc. Or you may be interested in purchasing a property and need some information you can request make the request by filling out and submitting the Property Information Request [PDF – 66 KB]
Gas & Electrical Inspection Services
The BC Safety Authority is an independent, self-funded organization that is authorized to administer the provincial Safety Standards Act which regulates various safety-related equipment and systems, including those for electrical and gas.
For electrical and gas permits and inspections, please contact the BC Safety Authority at 250-952-4444 or visit their website.